Pages

Making an Impact Written by Osayamen Sophia Ogbomo



 Making an Impact

Written by Osayamen Sophia Ogbomo


Talking about “making an impact” brings me to see things beyond convention. It sparks the awareness that we can build the life we want, and not just settle for the ones we wake up to and — sometimes— unfortunately have. 

The word "impact" denotes influence. It is the ability to influence people, things or even situations significantly. Do you dream of irreversibly changing your world? 

In my life, I have witnessed great acts of impact performed by people in my local community, nation, and world at large. It has now come to my realization that it only takes one "bothered" person to course a change. Bothered in the sense that, people who make noteworthy impact are the ones who see opportunities in the problems that surround them - the ones who are bothered by them. 

In the end, it is all about utilizing our skills and talents for the changes we desire. Merging resources to take that step of faith. Challenging self to be a vessel of change and source of inspiration. Going confidently in the direction of that vision. 

Take the religion, Christianity for instance. A religion once intricately intertwined with the western world and is now being practiced in Africa has significantly impacted the continent. It is impossible to ignore the impact of the church in Nigeria today. What we witness is not just a body reaching out, saving souls, and spreading the gospel, but a body that has also immensely impacted education, science and even medicine. 

Politically, the impact on cultural, economic, socio--economic sectors cannot be over-emphasized. Politicians, representatives, and patriots climb milestones that play huge roles in expanding our societies. On different levels, we see these evolution – growth and development. These changes we see are all thanks to individuals who take out time to actively incite the change(s) they want to see. 

On a personal note, making an impact is about rising above limitations enough to transform my world. To do this, I consciously develop myself by attaining in-demand skills I believe would equip me for my impact journey. Expanding my horizon. Growing well enough to develop others. In doing this, I also focus on developing my strengths in relation to the changes I hope to make. 

From what I know, I am certain these things are common to everyone set to be a vessel of impact; the ability to discern problems, the empathy to be bothered by them, and the zeal to solve them. With these, they stay involved with the affairs that concerns them, be it a person, sector or situation. What is that thing you wish to impact? 

No comments:

Post a Comment